Protective components of pallet racking (rack protectors) are mandatory equipment in the facilities which use mechanical handling equipment (MHE). We offer two basic types of protective components: side frame protectors and upright protectors.
Types of protective components manufactured by MGL
Side frame protectors (end of aisle rack protectors)
Side frame protectors with wooden filling – protection of lower mechanical resistance and slightly lower price. Space between protectors is filled with solid wood beams.
General functional features of protective components for warehouse racking
Rack protectors are designed and manufactured by MGL on the basis of our experience gained over the years in the field of intralogistics and warehouse racking solutions. Our upright and frame protectors can be installed with racking of any manufacturer. The investor can be sure that their performance parameters and level of protection will always be in accordance with applicable standards:
- Dimensions of the frame and upright protectors ensure that the required handling clearance between construction components of racks and stored loads are maintained.
- Properly installed, the protectors will maintain a safe distance between them and the rack upright.
- Upright and frame protectors can effectively absorb impact forces up to 400 Nm applied from any direction at the height of up to 400 mm above floor level.
- The surface of the protective components is covered with powder paint in the colours specified in safety colours standards, i.e. bright yellow or yellow-black warning stripes.
Compliance with standards
Protective components for warehouse racking have been designed and manufactured by MGL in accordance with current intralogistics standards:
- FEM 10.2.16 The Design and Use of Rack Protection for Adjustable Pallet Racking. Upright and Frame Protection – in terms of dimensions, construction and required resistance to damage.
- EN 15620 Steel static storage systems. Adjustable pallet racking. Tolerances, deformation and clearances – with regard to maintaining appropriate handling clearance between construction components of racks and stored loads.
- EN 15629 Steel static storage systems. The specification of storage equipment – in terms of basic applications and installation locations of column and frame protectors.
- EN 15512 Steel static storage systems. Adjustable pallet racking. Principles for structural design – with regard to minimum requirements for the protection of corner columns.
- ISO 3864-1:2011 Graphical symbols. Safety colours and safety signs. Part 1: Design principles for safety signs and safety markings – in terms of the safety colours used.
Why should you use protective components in your warehouse racking system
The role of the upright and frame protectors is to eliminate mechanical damage to warehouse racks caused by impacts from material handling equipment. It should be noted that any damage to the structural component of a rack results in a reduction in its load-bearing capacity (weight limit). Maximum load capacity of a racking system is specified by the manufacturer on the basis of tests and calculations. It is the most important factor determining safety of the entire construction.
If real load capacity does not reach the values specified by the manufacturer, damaged racks in use are permanently overloaded. In extreme cases, this may result in complete destruction of the rack structure and, consequently, cause the risk to life and health of warehouse workers and damage to property and stored loads (You can find more information in our video „How does a warehouse rack with a damaged column act”).
The purpose of column and frame protectors is to absorb and disperse impact forces generated by forklift trucks. In the event of a severe collision, the protector can be permanently damaged. However, as you can imagine, replacing a single protective component will always be much cheaper than replacing a structural component, e.g. a 10-meter-long column of a fully stocked rack.